So summer is officially here, which means days spent lounging outdoors soaking up the sun’s rays, and then cooling off in the pool when you need a break.
It’s easy to jump into a crystal clear pool, and forget that there is chlorine present, which can have some negative effects on your hair and skin. If you want to avoid chlorine completely then your best bet is to rely on the ocean to cool down, but when it comes to swimming pools chlorine is absolutely necessary to prevent harmful bacteria such as e.coli from growing in the water. There is not enough chlorine present in pools to be dangerous, but there is enough to cause dry skin, and even rashes in sensitive individuals.
Chlorine has a very drying effect on both the hair and the skin, as it strips the hair and skin of natural oils. The last thing you want to deal with during the sunny season is a case of flakey skin, and itchy scalp, so follow our tips to enjoy an itch-free summer!
For Your Skin
You might think it’s best to treat your skin with a hydrating product right after a dip, but for best results treat it before too!
An oil-based product is best, as it won’t slide off in the water, and will still leave your skin feeling soft and hydrated when you get out of the pool.
Follow these steps:
Before submerging yourself in a luxurious pool, apply a few drops of our Rejuvenating Face Oil.
- After cooling off, cleanse your skin with our Gentle Cleansing Milk.
- Follow with a refreshing spritz of toner.
- End off with another few drops of our Rejuvenating Face Oil to lock in hydration, and leave your skin feeling soft with a gorgeous glow.
For Your Hair
Your hair, like your skin, experiences the drying effects of chlorine too, and it can even turn blonde hair green! Don’t panic though, there’s a few simple tips to prevent this, as well as a great tip to turn your hair golden again should it turn green.
- Apply an oil-based serum (a few drops of our facial oil will work just fine), and then wet your hair before diving in. Your hair is like a sponge, meaning it will absorb less pool water if it’s already wet to begin with!
- After a day of fun in the sun, treat your hair to some extra TLC by slathering it in some pure coconut oil for an hour (or overnight) before shampooing and conditioning as usual. Your silky strands will thank you!
If your hair turns green:
If the chlorine turns your flaxen hair a weird shade of green, then simply apply the opposite colour on the colour wheel to neutralize it; red! You might be wondering where we are going with this, and that would be straight to your kitchen, because a ketchup treatment is in order. It sounds crazy, but this is one beauty hack that works! Simply slather ketchup all over your hair, leave on for at least 20 minutes, and shampoo and condition, and voila!
We hope these tips help you to have fun in the sun without any cares. For the rest of your body, be sure to cover yourself in our Nourishing Body Lotion every evening to keep your skin healthy, hydrated and beautiful!