Do you or a member of your family suffer from oily skin?
Is your skin often shiny or your makeup easily perspires off your face? Are you constantly battling breakouts? These are some of the issues facing people who struggle with oily skin.
Oily skin is more common than you may think and can be caused by a range of factors that can lead to acne and blackheads.
Stem Organics have a range of products that can combat the effects of Oily Skin and assist in reducing the severity of acne and blackhead breakouts.
Do You Know Your Skin Type?
If you notice that your skin exhibits quite a bit of shine and you easily break out, it is likely that you have an oily skin type or a combination skin type.
We have put together a helpful guide that will assist in identifying your skin type and suggest samples to try.
What Causes Oily Skin?
Oily skin is known medically as seborrhea and is caused by excess skin oil known as "sebum". Sebum is produced by the sebaceous glands and travels through the pores to hydrate and protect the skin. Skin can appear shiny when the sebaceous glands are overactive and produce excessive amounts of sebum.
The biggest causes of oily skin are hormones and genetics.
During puberty, pregnancy and menstruation, fluctuating hormones can stimulate the sebaceous glands to produce greater amounts of sebum. When pores get clogged with excess sebum, dead skin cells and bacteria, pimples and blackheads can develop.
If one or both of your parents have oily skin, you're more likely to be prone to it too. Genetics and hereditary factors can influence how your skin reacts to hormone fluctuations.
Other factors that contribute to oily skin include diet and using the wrong type of skincare products for your skin.
Refined foods such as white bread, pasta and chips can raise blood sugar levels which in turn may increase the production of hormones which stimulate oil production. It is best to avoid or moderate the eating of lollies, sweets, cakes, and pastries and eat a diet rich in antioxidants and good fats.
Using harsh cleansers or the wrong kind of products for your skin type can disrupt your skin's balance and may increase the production of oil in your skin. Stem Organics has a range of natural products suited to Oily and Combination skin
Tips for Managing Oily Skin
- Cleanse your face twice daily, in the morning and at night. Overdoing it can irritate the skin and disrupt its balance, potentially leading to increased oil production.
- Use oil based products to cleanse your skin so that you don't dry it out.
- Don't use harsh soaps or cleansers containing alcohol as they can strip the skin of its natural moisture and stimulate the sebaceous glands to produce more oil.
- Use lukewarm water as hot water can be too drying.
- Exfoliate twice a week with a natural exfoliant suitable for oily/combination skin.
- Use products that are "non-comedogenic" as these won't clog the pores. These are skincare products that are designed to not cause blocked pores. Our Gentle Cleansing Milk for instance, deeply cleans without stripping your skin of its natural oil.
- Don't squeeze pimples as this can cause infection and take longer to heal.
- Natural blotting paper is a great way to remove excess oil and won't dry out your skin.
- Follow a clean, organic diet including lots of whole grains and vegetables rich in antioxidants.
- Lastly, using all-natural skincare products like Stem Organics can help to reduce the effects of oily skin. Our natural, chemical free products will benefit your skin and keep it healthy.